Monday, February 9, 2009

Emily Rose has a facebook!


Facebook status: Never a day goes by where I feel that I am alone anymore.

Compare People: Friends voted Emily as
1. Most antisocial
2. Most talked about
3. Most “let off the hook”

Favorite type of novel: romantic novels
Favorite pass times: daydreaming and acting.

Thread:

Emily: Homer will you please come back. I miss having your company and I feel as if I am not complete without you.

Homer Barron: I will be back soon. I will make sure to spend time with you when I get back. See you soon.

Emily: I don’t want you to leave when you get back. I want you to stay with me so we can be together.

I chose to give that Emily that specific facebook status to basically create irony for the people that have read and understand “A Rose for Emily”. She has Homer Barron locked up in the upstairs of her house, and the reason she did it was so he would not be able to leave and she would never have to be alone again.

Even though she probably would not have many friends, on the part where her friends get to vote for her, I put her as the most anti-social because she is never seen by the townspeople. She is also voted the most talked about because of how much the townspeople gossip about her. This is an important point since the reason we know so much about Emily is through the gossip of the townspeople. She is also voted the most “let off the hook” because the mayor does not even make her pay the taxes. She is given special treatment even by the upper echelon of society.

I put her favorite type of novel to be any type of romantic novel. The reason I chose this is because I think the reason she keeps Homer Barron upstairs is because she is in love with him and never wants him to leave. As sick as that might sound and as demented her perception of love may be, I think she did it for love.

I also put her favorite pass times as daydreaming and acting. Since she does not get out of the house much, she must have a great deal of time to herself. When one is alone for an extended amount of time, daydreaming is hard not to do. A also chose acting as a pass time because every time she lays next to Homer Barron’s dead corpse, I picture Emily Rose acting as if he were alive, possibly even talking to him as if he was able to hold a conversation.
The thread between Homer and Emily is a fairly normal conversation. I wanted to make it sound normal because I pictured Emily as a normal person before I found out what she did to Homer Barron in order to keep him with her forever. The thread also foreshadows what she is planning to do when he gets back, which is to murder him and keep him for herself.

3 comments:

  1. The facebook status that you chose for Miss Emily is quite amusing. I agree with your choices for the vote and the favourite pass times. However, I can't really see her as the type of person that reads a lot. As we talked about in class, the relationship between Homer and her can be seen as a girl with a toy. Because her life has always been controlled by someone else (father, townspeople, etc.), she wasn't able to mature. Physically she matured and grew old, but psychologically, she resembles a stubborn little child. The way she evaded paying taxes by telling the men to "see Colonel Sartoris" makes her appear to be in the preoperational stage in Piaget's theory of cognitive development- she's rather egocentric, stubborn, and appears to be unable to perceive the passage of time. Her relationship with Homer, then, wouldn't be anything near romantic; she's just tired of her toy so she locked him upstairs to rot.

    Interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything you chose for Miss Emily's facebook fits quite well with what I assume her personality to be like. The picture you chose really does match with the image I imagine her to be. I did not imagine her liking romantic novels though. I see her as a person who does not read books. I think of her as someone who constantly looks through photo albums of her and her father and doing routines she and her family would do in the past. Your thread may be questionable. Although, I would imagine Homer to give more shorter answers though because he seems like the one person in the relationship that does not love her as much as she loves him. I do not think their relationship is even normal or romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's interesting how you assumed she would like romantic novels and acting, and I agree with your explanations. She would do anything to feel like Homer Barron loved her, including having fake conversations with him. It is almost childlike, as if she is playing make believe or pretend.

    ReplyDelete